CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
THE 39th RHUBARB FESTIVAL
RESIST. REIMAGINE. RISE.
February 14-25, 2018
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto
Festival Director: Mel Hague
The Rhubarb Festival is an integral part of Buddies in Bad Times’ continued devotion to pushing the boundaries of Theatre and performance. In two weeks of programming over 100 artists will converge on Buddies to create, inspire, and be inspired.
This year, Rhubarb seeks to grow our reputation for being the space in Toronto to incubate and explore the cutting edge of ideas in performance.We are currently seeking proposals for our upcoming festival.
Selected projects will be featured during the festival and will receive technical, production, promotional, and artistic support. In addition to an honorarium, festival artists also receive an unlimited artist pass, allowing them to see work for free by local, national, and international artists in our programme.
GENERAL CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
DEADLINE: 5PM FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 15, 2017
Rhubarb seeks proposals for new, not previously produced performance projects and theatrical experiments.
Submissions are encouraged from both established and emerging creators. Projects should run 25 minutes in length. Rhubarb encourages submissions from a variety of artistic forms with a focus on experimentation. These forms can include but are not limited to:
• Performance Art
• Interdisciplinary or Hybrid forms
RHUBARB SPECIAL PROJECTS: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
DEADLINE 5PM FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 15, 2017
At Rhubarb, we pride ourselves in being open and malleable to new artistic practices and forms. Do you have a project that you feel doesn’t fit within our General Programming constraints? The Special Projects call is for work that doesn’t fit, work that wants to bust open the containers of the Festival and surprise us in new ways that you don’t think we’ve thought of before.
Special Projects could be, but are by no means limited to;
– • Late Night Cabaret Presentations
• • Site Specific Work
• Durational Work
• Installation Projects
• One-to-One Performance Projects
• Multimedia Experiments
• Panel Discussions
• Community Driven Arts Projects
• One Night Performance ProjectSUBMISSION GUIDELINES – GENERAL CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS and SPECIAL PROJECT CALL
χ 1 Project Proposal (2 pages MAX)
χ 1 Writing Sample (if applicable)
χ Bios of confirmed participants involved in the project proposal
χ Support Materials (Where Applicable) can include: images, research, video, web links, and other
χ 20.00 Reading Fee paid by Credit Card upon submission of application. Alternatively, the reading fee can be paid by cheque or money order made out to BUDDIES IN BAD TIMES THEATRE. Please bring/send payment to Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, 12 Alexander Street Toronto ON M4Y 1B4
Your Project Proposal should describe what you want to do at the Festival
• A description of the specific project that you would like to present at the Rhubarb Festival
• Any requirements, space, technical, or audience engagement that you would require.
• Any specific questions, artistic explorations, experiments with form and content that you would like to undertake
• Is there a reason that Rhubarb is the only place that this exploration could take place?
• Why is this piece necessary for you at this moment in your development as an artist?
• How does this piece challenge you or your artistic practice?
You can include support materials for your project, either written, video, or images of your own previous work that help to understand your work better.
These could include:
• A writing sample of either the proposed work or previous work (where applicable)
• Bios of all confirmed participants in the project
• Links to images or videos (Please list in the Application Form Support Materials Area)
Please Note that the Rhubarb Festival will ONLY be accepting applications ONLINE
• At this time, Rhubarb only has the capacity to accept applications in written English. If you need additional support in putting together your application, please contact Festival Director Mel Hague at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please format your application as one .pdf file
Files can be uploaded to the provided link – you will receive confirmation that your application has been successfully submitted.