The Toronto Fringe 24 Hour Playwriting Contest
The popular 24 Hour Playwriting Contest hosted by the Toronto Fringe returns for 2019! Your new play could win you a cash prize, a professional staged reading at the 2019 Toronto Fringe Festival and Fringe bragging rights!
How it works:
- On Saturday, March 23rd at 5 pm, registered participants will receive 4 secret elements that will be the basis for this year’s contest.
- Participants have 24 hours to write a new play making sure to incorporate all 4 elements. Once the 24 hours are up, participants submit their script for adjudication.
- A team of jurors will read the scripts and vote on the winner.
- A director will be appointed by the Toronto Fringe to direct the staged reading of the winning script. They will hire actors and conduct rehearsals leading up to the big day.
- The winning play will be included as show in the 2019 Fringe program guide, and tickets will be sold to the reading.
- The reading will take place at a main Fringe venue one evening during the festival! (July 3-14, 2019.)
The Winning Playwright receives:
- Cash prize.
- A show listing for their winning play in the 2019 Fringe program guide.
- A staged reading with a professional director and actors that will happen during the 2019 Toronto Fringe.
Rules and Regulations:
- Scripts must be submitted electronically within 24 hours as a PDF to email@example.com. Subject line must read: YOUR NAME – 24 Hour Playwriting Contest Script Submission.
- Everyone is welcome to participate (except contest jurors).
- One entry per person is permitted.
- Plays are to be written by a single playwright, excluding partnerships or collectives.
- Musicals and dance pieces are not accepted.
- All plays must have a reading time of no more than 45 min and no less than 15 minutes.
- As all plays are judged blindly by the jury, the playwright’s name must not be written anywhere on the document. Instead please submit a separate document with the title of the play, playwright’s name, and contact information (email and phone).
- All scripts must include page numbers and formatted to be readable.
The winner will be contacted by phone on Monday, April 8th 2019 and the winning playwright’s name will be announced on our website.